Work on the Albany Ring Road should now be able to proceed as far as Princess Royal Drive as the Federal Government has released more than $110 million, fulfilling a $140 million funding commitment.
Member for O’Connor Rick Wilson said Deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce contacted him on Friday, October 29 with the good news.
“The WA Government can now access the full Australian Government commitment of $140 million after $29.76 million had previously been released for the development phase of the project,” Mr Wilson said.
““It’s great to see the ring road progressing so quickly with a major milestone being the current construction of the bridge over Albany Highway that is central to the entire project.”
“It’s great to see the ring road progressing so quickly with a major milestone being the current construction of the bridge over Albany Highway that is central to the entire project.
“The money released this week will fund 8km of dual carriageway from Lancaster Road to Princess Royal Drive and a grade separation at South Coast Highway and Hanrahan Road among other works.”
Works enabled by the Federal Government’s release of the $110.24 million are expected to start late this year, with the ring road anticipated to be complete in early 2024.
“The project will link existing major roads radiating from Albany, bypassing urban areas and improving access to industrial areas and the port,” Mr Wilson said.
“It will take heavy vehicles off existing roads, reducing congestion and improving safety for the people of Albany and visitors to their beautiful city.”